REACH is an acronym for Resources, Encouragement and Activities for Columbia Homeschoolers. As you look at the REACH calendar there will be Resources of non-REACH homeschool days and activities included. You will also see a variety of REACH-sponsored Activities.
Field Trips with REACH
REACH sponsored activities are aimed at building the REACH community. We want to help you find friends and meet-ups for social and educational opportunities. The admin team is here to help organize and implement a variety of Activities to benefit our members. We have a couple of ways that we do field trips and meet-ups.
REACH Sponsored: We have REACH sponsored activities that are sponsored and approved by REACH admin team. REACH admin team helps organize/implement these. We welcome any REACH member to plan or propose a field trip idea. It doesn’t do us any good to think of activities that might interest you. We need feedback and ideas from our members! Admins are here to help you be successful.
Not REACH sponsored: We also have individuals who organize/implement their own field trips/meetups. Non-REACH sponsored meet-ups are allowed to be advertised to REACH members (see guidelines below for promoting non-REACH activities).
REACH-sponsored Field Trips
Let’s talk more about Field Trips–what you can expect as an attendee and how to organize/implement a REACH-sponsored field trip.
What to expect as an attendee:
- REACH sponsored activities will be listed on the calendar and relayed to Members-only Facebook group, email newsletter and also text alerts.
- We try not to plan meet-ups and events that compete with other REACH sponsored activities. Except sometimes we do plan field trips/meet-ups on co-op days for members who are not already involved in co-ops.
- We always include a REACH contact person who will greet you at the event. This volunteer can also answer any last minute questions and help you if you are lost along the way.
- If the activity has a pre-registration form, you will get an automated confirmation email with reminder details.
- REACH sponsored field trips are open to all REACH members. Our membership is open all year–so these activities are a great way to help new members get involved.
- We value commitment. So, when you sign up (or RSVP via FB), we expect attendees to follow-thru. Our volunteer is expecting you–so please show up!
- We value communication. If something happens to change your plans–let the host know.
- REACH sponsored events and activities are generally not drop-offs. If you have older/younger siblings who can’t participate, we encourage members to buddy up so all children are supervised.
- Fees for activities may include processing fee for the convenience and to get an accurate attendance count.
How to organize a REACH-sponsored field trip:
- The best way to find activities you and your family are interested in, is to help organize a meet-up. But, you don’t have to do it all alone. REACH admins are here to help you.
- Fill out this field trip proposal form so we can get the details for pre-registration and promotional information. You can limit the total participants and/or that age group.
- Announcements, registrations and updates/cancellations will go thru REACH’s communications on calendar, email newsletters and text alerts.
- When you agree to host an activity, you are the face of REACH. You represent REACH to the public. Be courteous and adhere to the REACH code of conduct.
- You also may be the 1st impression to new members. Be committed to show up. Be welcoming to all participants.
- Communicate! Before and after the event, be sure to communicate with admins and participants and venue as needed. You are the point person for all communications.
- Have Fun!! Meet new people–make new friends. Repeat.
Not REACH-sponsored Field Trips
We allow other activities to be cross-promoted as a public RESOURCE (the R in REACH is Resources). These resources should also build our REACH community. We have several members that are great at organizing their own activities. Sometimes, another group has openings available to fill up their tour/field trip. There are also some great outings and opportunities that are open to the homeschool community–and you may want to gather a few REACH folks to meet-up together
In order to promote non-REACH activities:
- Include all details in a post (time/date, contact info, etc.) Please do not screenshot private events from other groups.
- Type out all the details in a post. Clickable link to a website or public event preferred.
- Please do not invite our members to join the other group in order to view the details of the event. This is poaching our members to build that community instead.
- If in doubt, ask for permission about posting and cross-promoting your event. email@example.com
We value our members–and invite everyone to participate in building our community. Whether you’re helping cross-promote great Resources or helping organize more Activities. We want to make REACH the best it can be!