About this event:
DECEMBER SKI TRIP TO SUGAR MOUNTAIN!
December 15 & 16, 2014
Sugar Mountain is North Carolina’s largest snow-sports resort. Sugar Mountain’s terrain classification is 34% easy, 52% intermediate and 14% most difficult.
The new ski slope named Gunther’s Way will be open! For those familiar with Sugar, this new slope is “blue” and it drops off of Northridge right before Switchback. It is 150 feet wide and 2,900 feet long.
They added 10 new snow-making machines.
DATES: Monday, December 15th & Tuesday, December 16th. You can choose one day or both days to ski.
COST: $20 Skier, $22 Boarder per day (Includes lift ticket, rentals, and lessons)
* Helmet rentals, if desired, are additional cost of $7 for twelve years old and older and $4 for eleven years old or younger. They will take an impression of a credit card and if helmet is not turned in, there will be a $70 charge. * For Snow Boarders there is a $400 deposit required for board rental. You can put it on credit card upon arrival and they will tear up their slips at the end of the day when you return the board.
* If desired, insurance on all equipment is $5. This only covers damage. This does NOT include loss or theft.
SKI TIME: 9 am – 4:30 pm
LESSONS: All lessons are FREE for students and parents for skiers and snowboarders. These are group lessons.
Beginner: 1 hour lesson available for beginner skiers and snowboarders 8 years old and up. If under 8 years old, hourly private lessons can be scheduled once you are there. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP CHILDREN FOR THE FREE LESSON IF UNDER 8 YEARS OLD!!!
Upper level clinics: Lessons are offered at 10, 12 and 2pm each day. A minimum of 4 people are required for an upper level clinic.
LODGING: Sugar Mountain is about a 3 – 3 1/2 hour drive (possibly 4 hours depending on where you live in Columbia). We will meet between 8:00 and 8:30 am at the mountain on Monday and Tuesday. (You cannot pick up tickets later than 8:30 am.). For those who want to stay overnight Sunday, December 14th and/or Monday, December 15th, Country Inn and Suites of Boone is offering a $60 group rate for a room with 2 queen beds. The hotel is about a 30 minute drive to the slopes. Depending on which way you travel to Banner Elk, this may or may not be convenient for you. The hotel has an indoor heated pool. Call 828-264-4100 and ask for the Columbia Homeschool group rate. RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 1, 2014. If you need to cancel, you can cancel 72 hours prior to arrival date.
DEADLINE FOR SKIING – Sign-ups and payments are due by Monday, December 1st.
E-mail Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Please list in the email: 1. Name and Cell Phone # (need a cell number in case I need to reach you the day of skiing)
2. Dates you want to ski/snowboard – Monday and/or Tuesday
3. Number of Skiers and/or boarders for each day
4. Number of helmets you want for Monday and/or Tuesday. Indicate age of skier wearing helmet
since prices are different for 11 years old and younger.
5. If you want insurance on equipment, please specify the number of skiers you would like to
6. Number of skiers wanting lessons, specify beginner and/or upper level clinic
Number of snowboarders wanting lessons, specify beginner and/or upper level clinic
** If any of your family wants upper level clinics, specify what time is your first choice: 10:00, 12:00 or 2:00.
Payment reserves your spot. Once you sign up, you will receive a confirmation email of amount you owe and where to mail the check.
Questions, email me or call at 803-400-3656.
Looking forward to a great Ski trip!